Monday, May 15, 2006


The Grand Canyon…

I have always wanted to see the Grand Canyon. So, it was on the top of my list of things to see when we planned our trip to Arizona.
We set off right after an early lunch. Our cousins, having taken a number of family members to see this natural wonder, joined us to see it once again. I really appreciate their effort, because I know it’s not easy traveling with a one year old. But he was a perfect angel all along the trip.
The Grand Canyon National Park is about 230 miles from Glendale. It’s a beautiful drive in the spring time, transcending one from the heat of Phoenix and Glendale to the snow capped mountains near Flagstaff and beyond.



We reached The Grand Canyon National Park at about 1.30 in the afternoon. There is an entrance fee for the park, which is about $25 for one vehicle. We drove into the park and found parking near a lodge. After a quick bathroom break, we were all ready to explore this natural wonder. We set off to the appointed stop for the shuttle buses, which take you to different scenic points. We hopped onto one of the shuttle buses and stepped off the bus at the point from where one can view the Colorado River flowing through the Canyon. It was an amazing sight!



The Grand Canyon is not just a beautiful, awesome view; it is a timeless gift to humanity. Its vastness and magnificence are unparalleled. I was completely awestruck at this great chasm, carved over millions of years across the Colorado plateau. I cannot find words to describe this natural wonder!



One can indulge in a number of activities at the Grand Canyon National Park from hiking to horseback riding to white water rafting in the Colorado River and many more. We did not embark on any of these adventures, but spent our time going to different scenic points and just gazing at the Canyon. We returned to the lodge where we had parked our car before sunset so we could see the sunset at the Grand Canyon. We saw a number of Elk on our way to different points. Sometimes the elk just step right into the path of vehicles and can be quite dangerous, especially after dark.



The sunset was spectacular! Again, words fail me. Even our camera failed to capture the beautiful sunset at the Grand Canyon in its entire splendor. We did, however, try to get some good pictures.



On our way back from the Grand Canyon National Park, we stopped at the Imax theatre and saw a movie about the Grand Canyon.. It was a spectacular showing and I would recommend all who visit the Grand Canyon to take the time out and see this presentation, as it gives you a new perspective.



I have, as of now, visited two of the Seven Wonders of the World, the Taj Mahal in Agra, India and the Grand Canyon in Arizona. I hope to be able to visit all of them someday…

22 Comments:

At 12:10 PM, Blogger travel plaza said...

Thanks Mridula.

 
At 2:50 PM, Blogger travel plaza said...

Hey Kartik,
The Grand Canyon is one place you definitely should visit. I am sure you will take some terrific pictures!!

Thanks for visiting my blog, hope you'll visit again.

 
At 6:53 PM, Blogger Travelin' Tracy said...

I love the Grand Canyon. I went to school in Utah and was able to make a short trip there. I would love to go back and hike into the canyon...hmph, one day!

I found your blog through mridulas and I thought I would stop by!

 
At 10:43 PM, Blogger travel plaza said...

Hi Tracy,
Thanks so much for stopping by. The Grand Canyon is one the most amazing experiences I've had.Like you, I would love to go back there and hike into the canyon too. Maybe someday...when the kids are older perhaps?

Thanks again for visiting and hope you'll visit again.

 
At 9:33 AM, Blogger travel plaza said...

Hi Gangadhar,

Thank you so much for visiting my blog and for your kind words. I too love traveling, but its not very often that I get to indulge.
You can address me as "Travel Plaza"That's the name I use on the internet.

Thanks.

 
At 7:13 AM, Blogger travel plaza said...

Thanks Gangadhar. It's a pleasure to meet you too!

 
At 3:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not going to Arizona or Grand Canyon. Thanks to your Blog.
I am planning for my summer break with family. Let me know what is coming next so that I can take it off my list.

 
At 8:54 PM, Blogger travel plaza said...

Do go and see all the places. The blog is to make it more alluring, not to turn you off :-). Nothing beats seeing all these wonderful places with your own eyes...

Travel Plaza

 
At 10:47 AM, Blogger travel plaza said...

Doing good,thanks Gangadhar. I saw the response on your blog.
Thanks once again.

 
At 11:00 AM, Blogger Pooja Aggarwal said...

Nice pictures, Travel Plaza. Looks like it is time I undertook the trip myself. Have always wanted to goto Grand Canyon but people keep saying its really hot there. Hence the delay.

What is the best time (coolest time) to travel to Grand Canyon ?

 
At 11:02 AM, Blogger Pooja Aggarwal said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 11:33 AM, Blogger travel plaza said...

Hi Pooja,
Spring and fall are usually the best times to travel to the Grand Canyon. We went during spring. It was still kinda cold though. We definitely needed our winter jackets! But the views are so awesome, you forget the cold. I have also heard that the Canyon looks spectacular during winter..

Thanks so much for visiting and for your encouragement:-)do visit again.

 
At 3:27 PM, Blogger travel plaza said...

Thank you Jimmy. Amazing blog you have too!!

 
At 9:14 PM, Blogger Travelin' Tracy said...

I would love to be blog rolled and I will do the same with you too!

 
At 11:24 PM, Blogger Ravenbajan said...

Hi Travel Plaza,

Great Canyon pics! It's definately a place on my 'someday to visit' list. :)

No problem about you linking to my blog. :) I'm glad that you enjoy it.

 
At 7:11 AM, Blogger travel plaza said...

Tracy,
Thanks so much for adding me to your blogroll.

Ravenbajan,
Glad you like the pictures.
Thank you.

 
At 3:04 AM, Blogger Vj said...

that's one of my fav. places too.
I would love to hit great canyon one day and raft in colarado river.

Iam visiting Indianpolis this winter. hope i get lucky

 
At 9:35 AM, Blogger travel plaza said...

vj,

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog. Glad you like it.
I'll keep my fingers crossed for you and hope that you can visit the Grand Canyon soon.
We have rafted along the Colorado river when we went to Colorado a couple of years back. Infact, I was thinking of blogging about that sometime.

 
At 7:54 AM, Blogger christine said...

I am so happy to have found your blog! I love it, and I can't wait to read more.

I am planning a trip to Phoenix (among other places) this October, and your pictures and stories have gotten me even more excited! :)

Hope you don't mind I've linked to your blog.

 
At 10:14 AM, Blogger travel plaza said...

Christine,
Welcome to my blog:))I'm so glad you like it. The Grand Canyon is one of the most amazing sights in the world. Do make sure to visit when you go to Phoenix. It is really worth the effort.
Thanks so much for the link on your blog. I'm honored:))

 
At 11:09 AM, Blogger christine said...

Thank you, TP! :))

 
At 12:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey travelplaza,
gr8 pics.which camera did u use?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home