Friday, May 05, 2006



Sedona……


We spent a day at our cousins’ home relaxing and getting our aching muscles back to normal. The kids enjoyed playing outdoors again after a long time. Our cousins have a beautiful yard and play set and those kept the kids busy. Oh! and the air was filled with the sweet smell of so many flowers. Living through the winter in Illinois, I’d forgotten there were so many sweet smelling flowers on the planet. And the colors were awesome too, from the vibrant bougainvillea to the fragrant white jasmine, it was paradise.


Well, we decided to do a little sightseeing the next day. We had heard a lot about Sedona and so decided to go out there. Sedona is about 106 miles from Glendale, AZ.
Although I had heard a lot about Sedona, I was not prepared for its unparalleled splendor. It took my breath away.
At an elevation of about 4500 ft, it nestles, at the base of the dominating Mogollon Rim and the mouth of the majestic Oak Creek Canyon, among beautiful red sandstone rocks. The huge sandstone monoliths have names like Coffee pot, Bell and Snoopy because of their resemblance to these objects or in one case a lovable cartoon character. Sedona is also home to the vast Coconino National Forest. It goes unsaid that with so much natural splendor, there are many outdoor activities that one can indulge in here.


There are jeep rides, helicopter tours, hot air balloon rides, to name just a few. The more adventurous can go hiking or for ATV rides. Whatever mode of transportation one chooses, there is plenty to see in Sedona. The rocks are home to authentic old Indian cave dwellings. Downtown Sedona has an old worldly charm of its own. There are several specialty stores where one can spend hours just window-shopping. There are also several friendly cafes where one can get a cup of coffee.
We decided to take a helicopter tour of the place; although the kids were more interested in doing a jeep ride or ATV ride, (I’m not that adventurous!) We drove down from the city’s tourist information center to the small airport. We were asked to wait a short while. In a few minutes, we were accompanied to the helicopter and introduced to the pilot, a friendly smiling chap, who made us feel at ease. Being a family of four, we got a chopper all to ourselves, and yours’ truly had the opportunity to sit in front, next to the pilot. My family was jealous that I got the best seat and I couldn’t help gloating. To say that the view was spectacular from above would be an understatement. Words cannot describe Rich, Beautiful Sedona!
It’s a small world indeed, because after our helicopter tour on the way back to downtown Sedona, we stopped to take some pictures at a scenic point, when we ran into one of my son’s teachers from school. We were pleasantly surprised and took the opportunity to take some pictures with her too.


Apart from its natural grandeur, Sedona is also considered a spiritual retreat by many. It is believed that Sedona is home to several vortexes or focal points of the earth’s energy and many come here to renew their own energy.
After shopping for souvenirs and getting some yummy ice cream, we decided to head back home. How I wish we could have stayed another day and explored more of Sedona.

I’m sure, if I have the opportunity I will certainly go there again!

11 Comments:

At 3:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice description! So nice, that I've decided not to visit the place! Well, I have seen it all through your blog.

Have you been to Grand Canyon? I have not been there and have been planning for a few years. If you are going to blog about it, i will skip that too. That is lot of money savings!

 
At 3:58 PM, Blogger travel plaza said...

ha ha...good one. I hope my description didn't turn you off! Yes, we did visit the Grand Canyon. I was going to write about it, but now I wonder! Should I?..don't want to turn you off from traveling!

Thanks for visiting...

 
At 6:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great photographs! :) Also featured on www.travel-rants.com as Blog of the day!

 
At 6:17 PM, Blogger travel plaza said...

Thank you so much! I 'm really encouraged to go on now.

 
At 9:28 PM, Blogger Ravenbajan said...

Great aerial shots! You definately picked a great spot for a helicopter sightseeing tour!

 
At 11:32 PM, Blogger travel plaza said...

Thanks ravenbajan. It was a great experience!!

 
At 6:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I cannot but simply say that it has been wonderfully written. The pictures along side too were very impressive. I particularly liked the rocks of Sedona which you have taken from the helicopter. How wonderful it is if I too could have joined you in your expedition. The attention to detail makes me feel as if I am seeing the places myself. May be I would get to see all those wonderful sites myself some time soon. Keep it up and I would like to look forward to see some more of the pictures of your expedition. Let me also say, the lady of the house has to get the best seat no doubt.

 
At 7:08 AM, Blogger travel plaza said...

Thank you so much. You are right, the lady of the house does have to get the best seat!

 
At 11:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness your pictures and stories are making me homesick for Arizona!!! I had cousins who lived and worked in the Grand Canyon Nationa l park so we'd drive up there almost every year, growing up.

I used to camp in the Mogollon rim. Happy boy scouting memories!

 
At 11:33 AM, Blogger travel plaza said...

I'm sure you have great memories of camping at the Grand Canyon. It's such a beautiful sight. Arizona has so many beautiful places. I think it was the most amazing trip we ever took.

 
At 4:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"I’m sure, if I have the opportunity I will certainly go there again!"

we said the same, seven years ago!

- s.b.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home